Thursday, September 17, 2020

My First Experience With TOC Part 4

 

In my last post I stated that I had prepared a brief presentation of my own for when the corporate people arrived. Here's what happened next.


The very first slide said it all.  It was a plot of weekly on-time delivery and I think it shocked them.  When I had arrived, the plant’s on-time delivery was just under sixty percent while the efficiencies were around eighty-five percent, which was still too low for our “corporate experts.”  When they saw it, they didn’t believe it because even though the efficiency had dropped to around sixty-five percent, our on-time delivery now stood at eighty-eight percent which was still not good enough for me.  Actually, the most current week which had not yet been plotted now stood at ninety four percent!!


I asked the “experts” if they would like to see how it was possible to improve on-time delivery, while at the same time reduce our process efficiencies.  I went through my traditional drawings of the piping system and simple four-step process and explained the concept of a physical constraint.  But for those of you who haven’t read about the concept of a system constraint, here are the two drawings I used.




In this first drawing I asked the corporate “experts” the question in the box just beneath the drawing of the simple piping system.  They answered the question correctly in that it would be necessary to increase the diameter of Section C to increase the volume of water delivered.  I also asked them if increasing the diameter of any other section would increase the flow of water through this system and again, they answered correctly by saying no, only Section C.  This exercise was intended to implant the concept of the system constraint firmly in their minds.  I then inserted a second drawing of a simple four-step process for manufacturing something.




I repeated the same questions I had asked about the piping system and they answered each one correctly.  I then asked them to tell me what would happen if we were to run every process step as fast as we could in order to increase efficiency like they wanted?  One of the "brighter" corporate folks got a smile on his face and said that, if you did, you would end up with two piles of inventory…..one in front of Step 2 and an even larger one in front of Step 4.  When I asked him to explain, he said that because of the differences in capacities it would be a natural effect.  Since Step 1 could produce at double the rate of Step 2 the WIP in front of Step 2 would build up at a rate of one extra part per minute.  The pile of WIP in front of Step 4 would be even bigger.


I then asked this same man to tell me the rate at which I should run the current process and he correctly stated one part every 5 minutes to match the rate of the constraint.  Everyone had just experienced that concept of slowing down, in order to speed up and that attempting to drive efficiencies upward could have a negative impact on on-time delivery.  And with that, the team from corporate packed up and went home.


TO BE CONTINUED

No comments: