Thursday, February 7, 2019

New Book Part 6


In my last post, I discussed some of the improvement tools, actions and focus I use when implementing the Ultimate Improvement Cycles.  In this post I will continue discussing some of the other tools I use.  Just to refresh your memory, the figure below is the 2nd of 3 concentric circles used in the Ultimate Improvement Cycle.  This material is taken from my newest book, The Focus and Leverage Improvement Book.



In Step 2a, we will now develop our plan on how best to exploit our current constraint. Some of the tools we will use in Step 2b are organizing the current constraint using 5S (Sort, Set in order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain), standardized work and visual aids. If necessary, in Step 2c, sometimes I will perform a Design of Experiment (DOE), and/or create Causal Chains to identify cause and effect relationships. Sometimes it is necessary to create Conflict Diagrams to identify conflicts. The Conflict Diagram is one of TOC’s Thinking Process tools. I also recommend using an Intermediate Objectives Map (aka Goal Tree), to further identify key relationships.

In Step 3a, we are attempting to create a synchronized flow of product through our current constraint, which is why in Step 3b I recommend using Drum Buffer Rope in combination with Buffer Management to achieve this objective. In Step 3c, we will optimize our buffer size to limit our non-constraint production. In Step 4a, we need to develop our plan on how to elevate our constraint, if it’s necessary to do so. In addition, the plan needs to include our selected protective controls. In Steps 4b and 4c, we will execute our elevation plan. I recommend performing a capacity analysis and a cost benefit analysis. In our final step, Step 4c, we need to perform process audits and policy analysis and then implement control charts.

In my next post, I will continue discussing this integrated method by presenting the deliverables related to the Ultimate Improvement Cycle.
Bob Sproull

1 comment:

Rozcar said...

Lovedd reading this thanks