Sunday, July 14, 2019

Another New Book Part 5

This blog post is the last in this series from my newest book, Theory of Constraints, Lean, and Six Sigma Improvement Methodology: Making the Case for Integration, which was just released.  As I said in the beginning of this series, it is taken from the Preface of this new book and I hope you enjoy this series.  In my last post in this series, I continued discussing some of my early learnings gained throughout my career and in this post, I will continue along these lines.

For those of you who have not yet had the opportunity to learn about the Theory of Constraints (TOC), I will open this book with a chapter on what it is and why it will work so well in your own improvement efforts.  In addition, I will explain in detail, the method I use to teach newcomers what TOC is and what it will do for any company.  TOC is clearly the “missing link” in most improvement initiatives.

In the second chapter, I will lay out the important points related to Lean Manufacturing and demonstrate how to identify and remove waste to make value flow.  In Chapter 3, I will introduce the reader to Six Sigma and present key points related to variability and the significant impact it has on systems.  In chapter 4, I will demonstrate how I have effectively merged the Theory of Constraints with Lean and Six Sigma to achieve maximum improvement to your company’s profitability. As you will see, while TOC works well in isolation, its full power is not realized until it is combined with Lean and Six Sigma.  The same is true for Lean and Six Sigma in that their full value is not achieved until they are combined with the Theory of Constraints.

From that point forward, I will present various case studies where I have used this integrated improvement methodology, which I refer to as [1] The Ultimate Improvement Cycle.  The case studies will clearly demonstrate how this methodology applies to seemingly every industry type.  In one of the case studies, I will explain how it works in a manufacturing environment, while in another case study, I will demonstrate how well this same methodology works in a maintenance, repair and overhaul facility. And in yet another case study, I will demonstrate how it also applies to a healthcare environment.

In the final chapter in this book, I will present something referred to as a mafia offer, which is an offer to potential and existing customers that is so good, they couldn’t possible refuse it.  Closely related to this mafia offer is something referred to as a viable vision, which if used correctly will take your future profits to the level of sales that you have today.

[1] The Ultimate Improvement Cycle has served me well throughout my years in continuous improvement consulting, as well as my time spent in roles as a General Manager of a manufacturing facility and as a VP of Engineering.  I consider myself very “lucky” to have come across the Theory of Constraints as the “missing link” throughout my improvement journey. But as I always say in my books, I wish you much luck in your improvement journey.  But my definition of luck is Laboring Under Correct Knowledge…..you make your own LUCK!

In my next post, I will begin a new series of posts on a new subject.

Bob Sproull 

[1] Bob Sproull, The Ultimate Improvement Cycle – Maximizing Profits Through the Integration of Lean, Six Sigma and the Theory of Constraints, 2009, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL

No comments: